Today is Monday, April 1. Here are five things you should know.
1) Morning showers. Clouds and rain showers are predicted for the morning, with highs around 50 degrees. The chance of rain is 20 percent, and conditions are expected to shift towards cleared skies as the day progresses, according to Weather Underground. At night, the skies will be mostly clear and the rain will have passed by. Lows are predicted to be around 34 degrees, with a light wind around 10 miles per hour.
2) Local Night. Head over to Whole Foods on Westland Avenue for a chance to and sample some of their unique products. The event is free, open to everyone and is slated to run from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m.
3) Who do you trust with your taxes? This week, our Best of Patch Readers’ Choice topic is Check out our list and let us know who your go-to tax pros are, and be sure to tell us if we’ve missed anyone. Don’t forget to leave a comment telling us about your choice!
4) Italian wine dinner. is holding a monthly beer and wine dinner tonight, with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the . The “classic Italian wine dinner” will feature four courses, each “paired perfectly” with a beer or wine. The meal begins at 6:30 p.m., and interested parties are encouraged to call ahead for reservations.
5) Beloved pontiff dies. On this day, in 2005, John Paul II, the first non-Italian to hold the highest position in the Catholic Church since the 16th century, and the most well-traveled pope in history, dies at his home in the Vatican. Six days later, in what is said to be the largest funeral in history, two million mourners flood into Vatican City for the service.