Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger: Sunday, May 6, 2012.
Walkers will enjoy a 20-mile route weaving through Boston, Brookline, Newton, Watertown, and Cambridge, and will be provided with entertainment and free snacks along the way.
More than 40,000 participants will raise nearly $4 million in pledges to help fund over 450 emergency programs, schools, summer food programs, community health centers, farmers’ markets, community suppers, home care organizations, and other programs that protect the individual and strengthen our community food security.
Registration is from 7:00 – 9:00 A.M. on the Boston Common. For more information, call 617-723-5000 or visit www.projectbread.org.
Street Closings and Traffic
- Charles St., between Boylston and Beacon, will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6:00am-6:00pm. Parking on Charles St. will also be restricted. In addition, Boylston St. East- and Westbound feeding into Charles St. will be closed. Traffic on Charles St. S. will be diverted at Park Square.
- Commonwealth Ave. outbound, from Arlington St. through Kenmore Square, will be closed from 6:00am-11:00am
- Traffic will be diverted at streets leading to Commonwealth, including Charlesgate E. and W. Traffic on Commonwealth inbound at Kenmore Square will also be diverted.
- Arlington St., between Beacon and Commonwealth Ave., will be closed from 6:00am–11:00am.
- Beacon St. between Charles St. and Arlington St. will be closed from 7:00am-12:00pm. Expect traffic delays Beacon St. outbound from Kenmore Square to Park Dr. between 7:00am-12:00pm. Traffic outbound at the intersection of Beacon St. and Park Dr. will be diverted from 7:00am-12:00pm.
- Drivers are asked to use extreme caution on Massachusetts Ave. at the intersection with Commonwealth Ave. where Walkers will be crossing from 11:00am-7:00pm.
- Charlesgate West at Beacon Street closed 7:00am - 11:30am.
- Charlesgate East at Commonwealth Ave. inbound closed from 7:00am – 11:30am.
- Expect delays along Commonwealth Ave. from Charlesgate E. to Arlington St. from 11:00am-7:00pm.