There are only a few days left in 2012, and as the new year approaches it becomes time once again to look back at the year that was—the South End stories that shocked, stirred and sparked conversation around the community.
Here they are, the most-read South End Patch stories of 2012:
10. Whole Foods to Open South End Store - In July, the organic supermarket chain announced it would open a store in the South End. The 50,000 square foot supermarket will be the largest retailer of a $200 million mixed use residential and commercial development project known as "Ink Block" on Harrison Avenue.
9. Romney + Adultery Billboard: Funny? Inappropriate? Both? - Although this billboard wasn't in the South End, it sparked a Boston-wide discussion over a controversial billboard featuring an image of Gov. Romney putting his finger in front of his lips in the universal sign for "Shhh..." juxtaposed with the message: "if cheating on your taxes is ok, so is... AshleyMadison.com." The advertisement was later taken down.
8. Olives & Grace Brings Specialty Hand-Made Gifts to Tremont Street - News that a new specialty food and gift store was opening in the neighborhood like wildfire. Olives & Grace opened earlier this summer by owner Sofi Madison.
7. Details Emerge Surrounding Sunday's Fatal Shooting in Blackstone Square - In February, a 21-year-old man from the Villa Victoria development on Tremont Street was shot and killed in Blackstone Square.
6. Police: Suspect Shot and Killed After Foot Chase on Dartmouth Street - In late August, Boston Police fatally shot a suspect after a traffic stop lead to a foot chase on Dartmouth Street. Two officers were also taken to the hospital.
5. Boston Man Arrested for Causing a Scene at Boston Medical Center - A South Boston man was arrested for trespassing, then yelling and throwing punches at Boston Medical Center in early December.
4. Alleged Union Park Stabber Arraigned - A follow up to a stabbing that left a Union Park resident in serious condition in February. The suspect accused in the attack, a 26-year-old woman, posted $5,000 in bail and entered a not guilty plea.
3. Rental Properties Available in the South End - South Enders love their real estate. This interactive map that lists current rental properties was viewed by thousands of people in 2012.
2. Motorcyclist Killed in Mass Ave. Bridge Accident; Bridge Closed - In June, bad motorcycle accident between a motorcyclist and an SUV left the 20-year-old motorcyclist dead and closed the Mass. Ave. bridge for hours.
1. Union Park Stabbing Leaves Man in Critical Condition - In February, Boston Police arrested a Union Park woman for allegedly stabbing her boyfriend, leaving him in serious condition. However, the charges against the woman were later dropped when the victim refused to cooperate with the prosecution.
What was your favorite South End story of 2012? Tell us in the comments.