1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a cloudy day with a high of 50 degrees, and a 40 percent chance of showers.
2. United South End Artists at Gold Gallery: United South End Artists, Inc. and Gold Gallery will present "Art + Alchemy: The Aesthetic Chemistry of United South End Artists", a juried art exhibition featuring original art work by members of United South End Artisits, Inc., now through Feb. 9. Gallery hours are Wednesday - Saturday 12 - 7 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m to 5 p.m. See here for more details.
3. Tree Pickup: Remember this is the last week the Boston Public Works Department will be collecting trees curbside from Jan. 7-18. Be sure to remove all ornaments, decorations and stands and place the tree on the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling day. Do not put trees in plastic bags. See here for more information.
4. Wine festival: The Boston Harbor Hotel's 24th Annual Boston Wine Festival begins today with a Grand Opening Reception in the hotel’s Wharf Room. Tickets cost $100 each. The festival runs through March 29 and features 39 festive evenings of wines, plus three themed brunches, scheduled each week. Prices range from $75 to $225. Tickets for the opening reception and for individual events during the festival are available online at bostonwinefestival.net/shop or by calling 888-660-WINE or local 617-330-9355.
5. Balloon Frenzy in the South End : The Boston Sculptors Gallery (486 Harrison Avenue) is currently holding a promotion where every like on their Facebook Page gets one balloon blown up in their gallery. The goal is to get to 20,000 balloons. You can see a live stream of the balloon frenzy here: http://artexpands.bostonsculptors.com/
Things you can do every day on South End Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news updates.
- Want up-to-the-minute news? Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.