1. Weather: The National Weather Service is a cloudy day with a chance of rain in the morning. Temperatures will hover around 47 degrees.
2. K9strolls Shop and Play Opening: Check out the new space for your four-legged companions at K9strolls Shop and Play (83 Pembroke St.) Daniel and Jim Avila-Batty, the owners, had run their business out of their South End home for several years, and recently opened up on Pembroke Street. Tonight they are holding a grand opening celebration from 6-8 p.m. See here for more information.
3. Live Music at Darryl's: Elevation Theory, who got their start at Berklee College of Music, will be playing will tonight at 7 p.m. at Darryl's Corner Bar & Kitchen (604 Columbus Ave.) Their style is described as "definitive tones and sweet, pocketed grooves." See here for more information.
4. For Middle Schoolers: An "Art Journaling for Fifth-graders and Up" workshop will be held today at the South End branch library between 4 and 5 p.m. It's free and materials will be provided. See here for more information.
5. Poetry Competition: Happening this weekend in the South End is the Boston edition of the statewide "Poetry Outloud" competition for teens. Poetry Out Loud (POL) is a national recitation competition that celebrates the power of the spoken word and a mastery of public speaking skills while cultivating self-confidence and an appreciation of students’ literary heritage as they take poetry from the page to the stage. You can catch the action at the Boston Center for The Arts 539 Tremont St. starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday.
Things you can do every day on South End Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news updates.
- Want up-to-the-minute news? Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.