1. Cloudy with a chance of...showers. Highs in the uppers 50s, wind gusts up to 30 mph. Sound familiar?
2. Veteran Astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman will be paying a visit to the South End on Friday. Ellis Neighborhood Association members (old and new) are invited to stop by the at 6 p.m. for refreshments and a chance to meet Hoffman, who has gone on five missions and logged 1,211 hours and 21.5 million miles in space. Space is limited, email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
3. Finally, a Mexican restaurant will be opening in the South End! El Centro, a long-time project of Mexican native Allan Rodriguez, will be opening later this month in the former Siraj Cafe space on Shawmut Avenue. According to his publicist, Rodriguez designed and built the space himself using objects he brought back from Mexico. Check back later today for the full story on the South End’s newest eatery.
4. Curious about 's South End location? Today, work out for free at the Harrison Avenue gym. If you like it, they're also running a pretty sweet promotion - sign up and pay no joining fee and get the rest of the month free. Just tell them Patch sent you.
5. Every Saturday Patch features a Pet of the Week from the South End’s . Today, we’ll be catching up with our pets featured in April, some of whom have found new homes. Check back later this morning.