1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a mostly sunny day with a high of 41 degrees, and a 40 percent chance of showers.
2. Concert at Community Music Center: Stop by the Community Music Center of Boston (34 Warren Ave) to hear a free concert with Vanessa Schukis, voice and Scott Nicholas on piano. Schukis will perform the songs of Marlene Dietrich including "Mean to Me," "Miss Otis Regrets," "I Wish You Love," and others. See here for more information.
3. Pan-Mass signups: Registration opens Jan. 17 for new riders interested in participating in the Pan-Mass Challenge. Now in its 34th year, the annual cross-commonwealth bike-a-thon raises money for cancer research and treatment programs at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. There are routes for all age and skill level, ranging from 27 miles to 111 miles. For more information or to register, visit www.pmc.org.
4. Ice Skating: The Boston Common Frog Pond is open daily for public ice skating throughout the season. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Mondays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $5 for ages 14 and up and free for ages 13 and under. Skate rentals cost $5 for kids and $9 for adults.
5. Editor Out on Vacation: Sorry to do this to you folks, but I need time off, too! I'm heading out on vacation through next Tuesday. Enjoy your long weekend and don't think for a minute there won't be great local content on South End Patch while I'm gone. Remember you can post your own events and announcements directly to the site (see below.) See you in a few days!
Things you can do every day on South End Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news updates.
- Want up-to-the-minute news? Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.