October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog-Month and homeless dogs need your help. If you're thinking about getting a dog, then please consider adopting. There are numerous benefits to adopting a dog, but most importantly, when you adopt you’re saving two lives, the life of the animal that you adopted and the life of the animal that’s going to take its place at the shelter.
Here at the Animal Rescue League of Boston we're going to spend this month honoring all of our current and former shelter dogs, by spotlighting some of our adoptable dogs and sharing happy endings on our blog. We'll also be offering canine tips throughout the month. Stay tuned for important information regarding canine health, grooming, exercise, training, nutrition and upcoming pup friendly activities in the Boston area. In addition to sharing helpful tips, we'll also be tweeting some incredibly touching quotes and photos.
If you're currently not in a position to adopt a dog, but would still like to help, there are plenty of ways that you can help shelter dogs.
- Spread the word. Talk with your family and friends about the importance of supporting local animals shelters and adopting pets.
- Follow your local animal shelter on Twitter and retweet stories by them.Use the hashtag #SaveDogs. You can share the stories of shelter animals on Facebook and dedicate your Facebook status to an adoptable dog. Social media is a powerful tool and you can use it to help homeless animals.
- If you've adopted a dog, write an op-ed about your experience and share your story with your local newspaper.
- Become a volunteer or foster parent. We're currently in need of volunteers at our Dedham location.
- Donate to your local animal shelter. Every dollar makes a difference and no contribution is ever too small.