Things to Know in the South End Today, Jan. 18: Late Night Storytelling at BCA
Here's what's happening your the neighborhood today.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a mostly sunny day with a high of 24 degrees.
2. Story Hour at BCA: Inspired by the old English tradition of mid-winter fireside stories, the BCA is teaming up with Nora Dooley of Massmouth, Inc. and the BCA Emerging Theatre Company Imaginary Beasts to present an evening of stories of the macabre tonight at 10 p.m. at the Boston Center for The Arts (539 Tremont St.) Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets and flashlights and will enjoy hot seasonal beverages while listening to campfire classics. See here for more information.
3. Free Movie Showing: The South End Branch of the Boston Public Library (685 Tremont St.) is showing "The Racket" with Robert Mitchum today at 2 p.m. as as part of the BPL's Noir Fridays series. See here for more information.
4. Girls Empowerment: Happening at Northeastern on Saturday is a "Day of Empowerment for Girls" hosted by City Councilor Ayanna Pressley. Girls and women of many ages and backgrounds, from neighborhoods across the City, will meet up to talk openly about all types of sexual violence and learn skills to empower and protect themselves. Happening Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at NU's Raytheon Amphitheater (120 Forsyth St.) See here for more information.
5. Editor Out on Vacation: Sorry to do this to you folks, but I need time off, too! I'm heading out on vacation through next Tuesday. Enjoy your long weekend and don't think for a minute there won't be great local content on South End Patch while I'm gone. Remember you can post your own events and announcements directly to the site (see below.) See you in a few days!
Things you can do every day on South End Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news updates.
- Want up-to-the-minute news? Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.