Things to Know in the South End Today, Dec. 6: SOWA Holiday Market This Weekend
Here are a few things going on in the South End and nearby today.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is predicting a sunny day with a high near 40 degrees.
2. SOWA Holiday Market: This year's Holiday Market (held at the Benjamin Franklin Institute, 41 Berkeley St.) to be held this Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. will feature over 75 artists and designers from around New England. Expect to find an array of indie goods, including: handbags, jewelry, pottery, letterpress stationery, silk-screened t-shirts, baby clothes, re-purposed wool accessories and more. Special this year is a VIP shopping hour from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. for a price of $15. General admission is $5. See here for more information.
3. New Mom Support Group: Join in with other neighborhood new moms for a tea and coffee hour today at 10 a.m. in the Worcester Square area. Hosted at the home of Maria Dolorico of A Mom Is Born, who recommends you arrive just how you are, whether that's with spit-up in your hair or a fussy baby. The group is for moms with babies that are less than 12 weeks old. See here for more information.
4. "Be the Match" Donor Drive: 29-year-old Richard Graham is looking to receive a stem cell transplant to help treat his Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), a disease of bone marrow where the marrow does not produce enough healthy cells. The only problem is, he is yet to find a match. Cure4Rich is holding a bone marrow/stem cell drive on Friday from 12-4 at the Office of the Jury Commissioner (560 Harrison Avenue, 6th floor) through Be The Match (www.bethematch.org). This drive not only supports Rich, but thousands of others who are in need of a blood stem cell transplant. See here for more details.
5. Of Mice and Men Opens This Weekend: Coming to the BCA Plaza Theatre (539 Tremont St.) from Dec. 7 to Dec. 22 is a theatrical adaptation of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Performances are Thursdays at 7:30pm, Fridays at 8pm, Saturdays at 2pm and 8pm and Sundays at 2pm. Tickets $25 students -$30. See here for more information.
Things you can do every day on South End Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for breaking news updates.
- Want up-to-the-minute news? Click here to follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.