Give Back This Holiday Season in the South End
In celebration of a new tradition, "Giving Tuesday," here's a list of places that are accepting donations or volunteers.
Celebrated the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, the event encourages people to support nonprofit organizations through charitable activities at the start of the holiday season.
Luckily, there are many ways you can help in the South End and around the city of Boston. Here are just a few opportunities to reach out this holiday season:
- The Animal Rescue League of Boston is accepting donations to help their cause of rescuing animals and preventing animal cruelty, abandonment and neglect. Buy an ornament in honor of your pet for their holiday tree or give directly at www.arlboston.org/donate.
- ABCD is looking for help to ensure Boston residents get free tax preparation assistance through a free tax preparation training. ABCD serves more than 85,000 low-income Greater Boston residents annually through its city-wide network. See here for more information.
- PBNA Neighborhood Association is selling wreaths to benefit projects in the neighborhood. See here for more details.
- The Planet Self-Storage on Traveler Street is collecting pet supplies for the Animal Rescue League of Boston all this week. See here for more details.
- The Franklin/Blackstone neighborhood association is selling wreaths, trees, garlands and other holiday decorations to benefit the neighborhood. See here for more details.
- Rosie's Place in the South End is always looking for volunteers. See here for what type of help they are in need of.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay is looking for volunteer mentors and also accepts donations to support their programs. As a Big Brother or Big Sister, you spend time with a young person from the area for a few hours, a couple times each month. For more information on how to volunteer or donate to BBBSMB, visit http://www.bbbsmb.org/GetInvolved/Default.aspx.
Know of some other places in the neighborhood or around Boston where you can give back this holiday season? Tell us in the comments or tweet @SouthEndPatch with the hashtag #givingTuesday.