Five Things: Greek Food Festival This Weekend
St. John the Baptist Greek Church is hosting a three-day festival with food and music.
Today is Thursday, Sept. 15. Here are five things you need to know today:
1. Don't let that sunny sky fool you: afternoon clouds are expected to roll in with thunderstorms likely. Highs in the lower 70s.
2. Take a break from visiting the South End Open Studios this weekend to grab a bite at the Greek Food Festival. St. John the Baptist Greek Church on Union Park is hosting a three-day celebration with music, a bazaar, and lots of food. Details here.
3. Want to help Roxbury students with their reading and writing? AARP Massachusetts and Generations Incorporated are hosting an informational meeting in the South End for residents to learn more about volunteer opportunities in local schools. If you're an AARP member, head over to the South End Branch Library at 10:30 a.m. on Friday to learn how to get involved. Click here for more information and meeting dates.
4. Hubway, the city's bike-share program, has introduced a reduced membership fee for lower-income residents. The Boston Public Health Commission is subsidizing the annual fee – reducing it from $60 to $15 – for qualifying individuals. The subsidy includes a free helmet.
5. The Boston Center for the Arts is putting a cool spin on this weekend's Open Studios event. Visitors to the Artist Studios Building at the BCA can collect stamps from each studio to put in makeshift "passports." Visitors with the most stamps will be entered to win prizes including tickets to upcoming performances and Beehive gift certificates.